I released two versions of this recipe, if you want the instant pot version click here: https://cabernetandcontracts.com/2018/08/28/instant-pot-meatballs-made-easy/
Every once in a while I just crave a good plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I could order it for take out at any pizza place, but why not just make them myself? Meatballs freeze very well and I usually just make a ton and freeze them in portion sizes for easy weeknight meals. This recipe is gluten and (mostly) dairy free, but you can just as easily use normal milk, cheese, and breadcrumbs. I do use normal parmesan because it has such low levels of lactose it does not bother my stomach! This recipe makes around 15 medium sized meatballs (enough for 5 meals for me), but it can easily be doubled.
- 1 lb ground beef (I use 85% or 90% lean meat)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (any milk works)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (I use the 4C plain)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian herb blend (or 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp parsley, 1/4 tsp basil)
- beat the egg with the milk and add the meat
- combine the egg, milk, and beef careful not to over-handle the beef
- add the rest of the ingredients and mix until incorporated
- roll 1 to 1.5 inch meat balls and put on plate in freezer for 5 minutes to firm up
- prepare your sauce, see link below for a sauce recipe!
- add this point there are two options, you can either put your meatballs straight in the sauce and cook for around 40 minutes, or until done. If you use this method you want to skim the fat off the top of the sauce after cooking if not using a lean meat.
- OR you can do what I did to reduce the fat content, cook the meatballs in a skillet until brown on the outside and significant amount of fat is in the pan. Transfer meatballs, leaving fat behind, to sauce and cook for 20 minutes or until done. You can also use this same method in the oven on a baking sheet
- prepare some delicious (gluten free) pasta – I used Barilla – and ENJOY!
link for sauce: coming soon!