Let me start off by saying how easy this is. I made mine in a toaster oven … yes, a toaster oven. I really wanted pizza the other night, but I can’t eat gluten, did not want to spend money on delivery, and did not want to turn on the oven in the 95-degree weather … so I decided to experiment! The only problem was I did not have yeast, what I believed to be a key ingredient in pizza making. After playing with a few different combinations, I finally came across a wonderfully simple recipe. This can be made with normal flour, I just happen to be gluten-free! You can also use normal cheese or dairy free. The crust also keeps nicely, I made 3 crusts and only 1 full pizza. The other two crusts are in my fridge ready to be eaten.
The flavor combinations are also endless. Tonight I am making a BBQ chicken pizza, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. This crust holds up to pretty much anything and you can get away with all the toppings and not worry about a soggy pizza. Go crazy and enjoy!!
2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup + 3 tbsp warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
optional: 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp of Italian seasoning
- mix dry ingredients well
- combine water and olive oil, slowly add to dry ingredients stirring with hands or wooden spoon
- combine until it starts to form a bowl, transfer to counter, mat, or cutting board for needing – I use one of those thin plastic cutting boards it works like a charm and is easy cleanup!
- This step is necessary. Wrap your baking tray in foil and put in the toaster oven at 450 degrees to preheat.
- While your tray is preheating, kneed the dough for 5 minutes, do not skimp on this step. Even though there is no gluten to kneed, this step is necessary to combine the ingredients and work the dough
- I separated my dough into three pieces and formed thin, round personal pizzas. This dough works best as a thin crust pizza.
- Take out your preheated tray, spray with cooking spray, add pizza crust. Bake in the toaster oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees or until the edges start to brown
- Take it out, add sauce, cheese, and toppings. Put back in the toaster oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly!