I had to tell my dad today that my beef barley is better than his … he doesn’t believe me, but once he tries it he will! I actually can’t eat barley, so I substituted barley for cooked brown rice at the end, but you can do either one 🙂 This recipe includes instructions for a normal pot on the stove or an instant pot! Both turn out great! Side note check out my cute oversized mug. I live by the mantra messy bun and getting stuff done as a busy law student. I got mine at Target if you want one!
- Beef stew cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cubes beef bullion
- 4 cups water
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 cup cooked brown rice OR 1/2 cup uncooked barley
Normal Pot Instructions:
- Put oil and chopped onion in a large sauce pot. Add garlic.
- Add beef and allow to brown
- Once onions start to turn translucent, add water, beef bullion, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Allow to simmer for 30 minutes and then add carrots. If using barley, add now. If using rice wait!
- If the water level starts to get low add a 1/2 cup of water when necessary
- After 30 minutes, add rice.
- Keep at a simmer for 10 minutes and you are ready to eat!
Instant Pot Instructions:
- put oil, onion, and garlic in instant pot on saute function
- Add beef and allow it to brown. Stir continuously to avoid burning beef, onions, and garlic
- Once onions begin to turn translucent, add the beef bullion cubes, water, carrots, and Italian seasoning. If using barley, add now. If using rice wait until the end!
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes with a 15-minute natural pressure release.
- If using rice, stir in now and ENJOY! 🙂