I put Enchiladas in quotes because I do not want to compare these to traditional enchiladas. These are my easy, no guilt enchiladas. I used my instant pot to make easy shredded chicken, but you can use a crock pot or even do this on a stove-top! I make mine gluten free by using corn tortillas (plus I like the taste), but you can use flour tortillas if you prefer. You can also make this dairy-free in a pinch by using your favorite dairy-free cheddar! Most recipes call for mixing the shredded chicken with cheese making the dish much more indulgent, my recipe limits the cheese to a thin layer on top. You still get the cheesy flavor and texture with way less guilt!
- 1 pack of chicken (4 breasts)
- 1 pack taco seasoning low sodium
- 3/4 cup water
- 15 corn tortillas
- 1 can Refried black beans
- Cheddar Cheese
- put the chicken, taco seasoning and water in the instant pot and give it a good stir. set instant pot for 15 minutes low pressure with 10-minute natural pressure release. (If you are doing this in the crockpot it will take around 4 hours to get shreddable chicken and may require more water, you can also boil the chicken and shred it then soak it in a heated mixture of water and taco seasoning.)
- shred the chicken. Preheat oven to 350.
- spread thin layer of refried black beans on corn tortilla, pile up some shredded chicken down the center of the tortilla, and roll ’em up!
- place rolled tortilla seam side down in a baking dish
- repeat until you use up your chicken (I usually get around 15 enchiladas)
- top the enchiladas in the tray with salsa and cheddar cheese
- cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the edges crisp and the cheese melts